Copyright © Village Voice Magazines Ltd. 2013-
In 1877 Mary Brettle, keeper of the toll gate in Upper Gornal was summoned to court for imposing excessive toll charges—she charged 4½d instead of 3d for a horse and cart. She was warned about her future behaviour and made to pay the costs of the case.
Before it was demolished in 1966, Abbey Farm in Gornal Wood was the family home of Dr Hicken, a local GP.
In 1868 Dr Ballenden, Sedgley's medical officer of health, described the area in a report in this way: "Thirty years amongst the nailers of Sedgley convinces me that they are the most immoral people in England. The women have more manly qualities than the men and in free fights the wife is generally the victor."
Virtually no Roman remains have been found in Sedgley. A few Roman coins dating from the first century AD have been discovered (including one on what is now the playing fields of Dormston School) but there is no evidence of any buildings from the period.
In 1267 Wood Farm in Cotwall End was owned by Moysi le Forrester who was granted a pardon for "the murder of Stephen and any consequent outlawry".
In 1920 Lt. Col. F.R. Law of the South Staffordshire Regiment unveiled at the Wesleyan Church on Himley Road, Lower Gornal a memorial to the 14 men and boys from the congregation who had lost their lives in World War I. They were Granville Bowen, Leonard Brookes, William Collins, Ernest Evans, Harry Greenway, Ewart Hall, John Jordan, William H. Parkes, William Powas, Benjamin Simmons, Arthur Smith, Jas Timmins, Chas Timmins and Fred Worton. Also included on the memorial was a plaque to the 134 men who served in the conflict and returned home safely.
At the forefront of wireless technology
period that he invented the light emitting diode (LED). Yet it was his service in both the First and Second World Wars that brought him into the limelight. At the outbreak of hostilities in 1914 he joined Military Intelligence and worked on direction finding using radio transmissions. Such was his success that the Admiralty relied on his knowledge to predict the movements of the German fleet and as a result of information provided by Round the British fleet was in a prime position to win the Battle of Jutland, the largest ever sea battle.
For this and his other work during the war he was awarded the Military Cross for “gallantry during active service against the enemy”.
Between the Wars he returned to his duties with Marconi before setting up his own consultancy business. During the Second World War he was mainly involved in the development of the ASDIC system (now generally known as SONAR) for submarines. Round died on 17th August 1966 in Bognor Regis after a short illness. He was 86 years old and had been working almost until his death. Indeed, during his lifetime he applied for and received 117 patents on his work, the last just two years before his death. Although not widely recognised in his home town, there is no doubt that Round was an exceptional man.
Born on 2nd June 1881 in Kingswinford Henry Joseph Round became one of the most influential men in electrical engineering. He was one of the early pioneers of radio and for many years was personal assistant to Guglielmo Marconi.
He joined the Marconi Company in 1902 and was sent to America where he was in charge of a number of important research projects. It was during this period that he invented the light emitting diode (LED). Yet it was his service in both the First
More “Local History”
One of the most popular features of VILLAGE VOICE are the items on local history and here we have gathered together a number of these from various editions over the past eight years. As time goes by, we will regularly add new pages to this feature (which is fully searchable using the search facility above).