Copyright © Village Voice Magazines Ltd. 2013-
The Darkhouse Methodist Church in Coseley was formed in 1783 and the congregation met at a farmhouse owned by a Mr Wassall. However, by the following year so many people were attending that a hole had to be cut in the ceiling so that people upstairs could participate in the services being held downstairs. In 1785 a new chapel to accommodate them was built.
The Deepfields footbridge over the Birmingham-
Between 1905 and 1968 Jones’ Newsagents and Tobacconists in Abbey Street, Gornal Wood was a major distribution centre for the ‘Express & Star’. At its height 22 paperboys would arrive at the shop every evening to deliver more than 2000 papers to homes as far away as Pensnett and Coseley.
In 1893 Harriet Walters (16) of Tower Street, Sedgley died of lead poisoning whilst working in an enamel shop in Bilston. The death was debated in the House of Commons and Queen Victoria wrote to the Prime Minister, Mr Gladstone, that she was concerned about “deplorable conditions of the homes of the Sedgley poor.”
It was announced in September 1856 that Sarah Hosborn of Woodsetton had died at the age of 100. She had lived with the King family for almost 90 years during which time she had been “a faithful and devoted servant”.
Seisdon’s motor sport heritage
Photo: Brian Snelson
Thanks to one man—Jack Henry Turner—Seisdon became the unlikely centre for a successful, if somewhat short-
Born in Wales, Turner moved to the Old Smithy in Seisdon in the late 1940s where he looked after and tuned racing cars for a variety of wealthy owners. One of the most enthusiastic of these was John Webb, chairman of Stourbridge glassmaker Webb Corbett, who raced a ‘Turner’ (in fact a converted MG Magnette) for a number of years.
In 1953 Webb became a director of Turner Sports Cars Ltd. and the factory moved into Wolverhampton where larger premises had been found in which a new single-
The following year a new engine—an Alta—was fitted into the same chassis and the car was entered into various Formula 1 and Formula Libre races with the same disappointing result. As well as track races the same car was frequently used in hill climbs and sprints but its inherent unreliability was still a significant problem.
In 1955, having left behind competition cars, Turner turned his hand to producing small, open two-
Despite this minor success, though, the factory closed in 1965 when Jack Turner retired through ill-
More “Local History”